- Refined oil leads to an increase in triglyceride levels in the body which is one of the main reasons for excess fat in a human body.
- Refined oil has a high glycemic index (the GI value) which increases unwanted fats in a human body which may cause many severe health issues.
- Sometimes Hydrogen is mixed in refined oil to remove all natural fats contained in the oilseeds. Removing all the natural health benefits.
- For more details we can check the refined oil production process:
Refined Oil Production process:
- Cleaning and Grinding:
Oilseeds are passed through magnets to remove any trace of metals.
Oil seeds are crushed through expellers under pressure of 68950 to 2,06,850 kilopascals. The remaining oil cake is processed with different chemical solvents to attain maximum yield. A volatile hydrocarbon (commonly hexane) mixes with the oil extracting it completely out of the oil cake. Then the oil is distilled removing the solvent traces.
- Oil Refining:
The oil is refined to remove color, odor, and bitterness. Refining consists of heating the oil up to 107 to 188 °F (40 to 85 °C) and mixing an alkaline substance like Sodium Hydroxide or Sodium Carbonate (Na2Co3). The oil is then washed with hot water(85-90 °C) through a centrifugal machine and it is bleached by filtering it through Fuller’s Earth/ Activated Carbon.
Finally, the oil is deodorized in a vacuum under the temp of up to 225 to 250°C.
Other major drawbacks of refined oil:
- Nickel is one of the major chemicals used in oil refining. Nickel is supposed to be one of the major causes to produce many carcinogenic and negative effects on the respiratory system, Liver, and skin of a human being.
- Sodium Hydroxide added during the refining process affects the digestive system resulting in ulcers, Gastroenteritis, cysts, or tumors.
- Refining of oil includes processes like bleaching, de-waxing, de-odorizing, de-gumming, and de-acidification. These harmful steps ultimately result in increased oxidation and rancidity in edible oils. Due to this our respiratory system is affected within a course of time. The alveoli of the lungs slowly get more oxygen than required. Resulting in many problems including less blood circulation to your brain.
- The high temperature involved in the refining process removes all the natural and beneficial elements from the oil. It instead increases the trans fat of the oil. Regular consumption of such oil can act as a slow poison for your heart.